Everyone has a bucket list, and I’m proud to say that I have achieved many things on mine already. I caught the travel bug big time. Some things on my list are big life events, some are small details, but they’re all equally important to me. Because you won’t want to read all 150, here are the top 19 things I want to do before I die:
1. Hot Air Ballooning. Preferably over the Grand Canyon, as the sun sets. What bliss.
2. Sail down the Amazon River. The Amazon is one of the most exquisite, diverse ecosystems on the planet and we all need to see how important it is. It’s my lifelong dream to see it.
3. Go storm chasing. I want to see what makes Thor so ANGRY:
4. Master the Scorpion yoga pose. This is a very difficult thing for people like me who have absolutely no co-ordination whatsoever. It takes patience, discipline, and a very bendy spine. Inner peace in the most contorted of ways.
5. Overcome my fear of spiders. This one can wait for now, but overcoming a fear is a big step in one’s life, however small the fear may be. In 2011, I jumped out of a plane to get over my fear of heights. It hasn’t returned but it did involve some tears. A MUST. I want to be able to deal with that pesky little arachnid in the bath without squealing.
6. Teach myself to use chopsticks. This one I have almost mastered, but immersing one’s self in other cultures is so easy if you do it via the medium of food. It brings people together. Roll on the Dim Sum!
7. Watch a meteor shower. This one would be so much easier if the weather in Britain was better. But it’s not, and events like meteor showers are such simple, sweet moments that I just have to see one.
8. Dance with my dad at my wedding. This one doesn’t involve travel, or doing things for one’s self, but finding enough love in your heart to make sure someone else makes good choices. A memory that every girl should have. (If I ever get married!)
9. Spend new years on Copa Cabana Beach. Because there’s nothing better than kissing a stranger at midnight in the surf, whilst getting completely boggled off of pina coladas. Or maybe that’s just the student in me.
10. Jailbreak from university. Having fun is one thing, doing it with your friends is another. I love challenges, and I want to see how far I can go.
11. The Pyramids at Giza. The foundation to any good bucket list. I’m in love with Egypt, and I want to explore all of it.
12. Climb some more mountains. Every time I say I hate it. Every time I prove myself wrong. The feeling of being on top of the world is indescribably monumental.
13. Float in the Dead Sea. Famous for being so salty that it creates immense buoyancy. Just me, the sea and the sky.
14. Throw tomatoes at La Tomantina. Another popular one, and rightly so.
15. Drive a tractor. Probably not all it’s cracked up to be, but I’ll be the judge of that.
16. Help out a furry friend. Everyone has that one animal that they want to help out. As a student, I’m not in a good enough position financially to be able to make a difference to any poor creatures that are endangered, but hopefully that will change!
17. Play Pooh Sticks on Pooh Bridge. Okay, a little lie… I have done this. But nothing is better than a walk in the Hundred Acre Wood!
18. Bungee Jumping. I want to experience the same adrenaline rush as Sky diving, but this time on my own terms!*
19. Make an impression. None of these experiences mean anything unless you have awesome people that you love with you, and meet great friends along the way. It’s all about the people.
*a tandem skydive means the instructor rolls you both out. Once you’re in the plane, you have no choice but to jump!
What’s on your bucket list? Comment below!