Recently I was asked what my biggest fear was. In my rush for an answer, I replied, ‘Spiders, I guess’.
Spiders? Come on, I said to myself later that night. Were eight legged critters all that I was afraid of? That got me thinking. There are lots of things I have an extreme aversion to, but may not necessarily be ‘fears’ per se.
So here are some secret, stupid perturbing prospects.
- The base end/handle of my toothbrush being wet. This sends chills down my spine and makes me want to vomit. I hate hate HATE this for absolutely no apparent reason. I have to leave the bathroom when this occurs.
- Peering round corners. This is probably a remnant of being allowed to watch horror movies too early. Be it in a house, down a street, or behind a door that’s ajar, it’s going to freak me out even if it’s painted barbie pink.
- Wide eyes. my flatmate frequently gets annoyed when I bump into her and scream. She has these wide eyes that when she turns around look scary. I never expect it. I blame Aardman animations.
- People talking about ghosts. Specifically Poltergeists. I am adamant that ghosts don’t exist, and am grown up enough to be able to reason with myself, but sometimes a door creaking or things that go bump in the night will result in me stocking up on Nytol.
- My Shadow/reflection. I make myself jump on a DAILY BASIS. This is so sad that I have to laugh about it.
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t live my life in constant trepidation of corners or haunted houses, but just sometimes they irk me enough to get the jitters.
Do you have any silly phobias? Comment below.